Wednesday, August 7, 2013

CRONUTS

 Cronuts




I read somewhere about the one bakery in New York that is responsible for a new phenomenon.   The CRONUT.  Chef Dominique Ansel of the Dominique Ansel Bakery in New York, has created a pastry that is a hybrid of a donut and a croissant. It is the only bakery in New York that serves the cronut.  The cronut is so popular that the bakery has a limit on the amount that you can buy during a single purchase Customers are willing to wait outside in line for hour’s mornings in the hopes of getting a cronut before they are sold out.
 When I read an article about the cronut and Chef Dominique Ansel’s Bakery, it sounded so delicious  I thought about ordering it from New York and having it shipped to Los Angeles just so I could try it. Turns out,  the cronut has a short shelf life and it cannot be shipped. Luckily, several bakeries have jumped on the cronut craze and have raced to make their own version of the cronut. These are the first three bakeries in L.A. where I was able to find and sample the cronut. 

Semi Sweet Bakery
105 E 6th St
Los Angeles, CA 90013
(213) 228-9975

Frances Bakery & Coffee
404 E 2nd St
Los Angeles, CA 9001
(213) 680-4899

Spudnuts Donuts
8225 Topanga Canyon Blvd
Canoga Park, CA 91304
(818) 348-5054

I enlisted my Father and my son to conduct a taste testing over one weekend to sample the cronut from these three bakeries. I think both my Father and son were both pretty happy with the cronuts from each of the three places. I think they especially like that I was buying them both cronuts!
Here are the results of the taste test.  My son’s favorite cronut is from Frances Bakery and Coffee on Second Street in Little Tokyo. Frances’ cronut has a light cream filling in their cronut.  His second place choice is Spudnuts located in Canoga Park, which also comes with a cream filling. In third place is the cronut from Semi  Sweet bakery  located on 6th Street in downtown Los Angeles.
My Father’s first preference, the Semi Sweet Bakery. The cronut from the Semi Sweet Bakery is similar to Frances Bakery but with no filling. In second place is the cronut from Frances Bakery and finally in third place, Spudnuts.
My  particular favorite? I would have to go with Frances Bakery and Coffee, followed by Spudnuts and finally Semi Sweet Bakery.  I like the cronut from Frances Bakery because it has just the right amount of filling for my taste. Spudnuts is good but has a bit more filling then I like. The cronut at Semi Sweet Bakery tastes a bit greasy to me.
As interesting as a cronut is to try, I have to caution that cronuts are not cheap.  The price of a single cronut ranges from $2.95 to $3.85.




">

No comments:

Post a Comment